Friday, April 8, 2011

Euro Trip 2011 Continued Day 2

End of Day 1 and Day 2-the 7 day Hangover begins
We arrived in Schruns on the 30th, later in the day, so really still part of Day 1.  The hotel is beautiful, the town is beautiful, everything is amazing.  We basically got there, checked in and then everyone went to their rooms to rest before dinner.  The hotel has a great restaurant and very well stocked bar.  I know because I think we tried to empty it every night we were there.  Our bartender was very kind and understanding of the tired Americans who just wanted to drink a few beers and head to bed.  Unfortunately, that was not the plan.  First came dinner, where Jen and I sat at a table with a couple of guys from Korea.  Very nice, but after a few discussions about Kimchi, North Korea, China and Japan, we pretty much hit the language barrier and ran out of things to talk about.  It was about at the fifth and final course of dinner that they had a few other Korean friends show up and I jumped at the opportunity to let them reunite with them so we could join our gang, who had come in later as they had all been napping.  A nap would have been a good idea.  We were joined at the table by Rob and Julie from Gantner USA.  A great couple who we would spend much time with at the bar.  I mentioned our great bartender.  Dave, originally had a different opinion of him.

Dave: Every time I ask Gustavo to bring me a drink he ignores me.
Rob: Gustavo, who is Gustavo, his name is Bjorn.
It went downhill from there as both Dave and Jen started to speak Spanish to the bartender and were more and more surprised that they were not getting their drinks.
Eventually Julie told Jen about her secret look to the bartender to let him know that her wine was empty and that she needed a refill.  Once again the unspoken gesture is more powerful than the spoken, incorrect language.

As far as pictures, I didn't really take any when I got there except for a few shots out the window of our room.
However, after a full night of drinking and closing down the bar, lets say we went to bed around 3am Schruns time on the 31st.  So that would be 9pm in the US on the 30th.  Since we didn't sleep on the plane, which left at 2:30 from Indianapolis and we dropped the kiddo off at school on the 29th, that would mean that Jen and I, and probably John, Janet and Dave, did not sleep from say 8am the 29th until 9pm the 30th.  37 hours without sleep is probably not good on the body.  Then subjecting it to the Austrian equivalent of moonshine, schnapps did not help.  Pour a little, say 3 liters of beer down after it and you understand why their meals consist of 5 courses.  You need that much food to survive drinking that much alcohol.
We actually got up at a decent hour the next day and had a little breakfast.  We didn't start the Gantner meeting until 1:30 and that was really just an introduction at the bar at the hotel.  Yes, more drinking.  I am loving the ways of business in Austria.  Anyway, we decided to take a short trip in to town.  It is only about a 5 minute walk to the center of town and it is such a beautiful little town.  We had lunch at a small cafe in town and I had to have a little fuel, aka beer.  Then back to the hotel for the beginning of the meeting.  Then another dinner at the hotel, 5 course again, this time we sat with John, Janet and Dave throughout the entire meal.  Rob and Julie joined us at the bar,  and Rob uttered those most insane of words, "We're going to make this an early night."  Cut to Jen, Julie, Rob and I closing the bar and finally letting poor Gustavo/Bjorn go home.    End of Day 2.


No comments: