Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Disturbing.

No pictures this time. Not even about the kid this time. I was in Hagerstown today visiting a customer. As I was white knuckled the entire drive due to nasty weather I was pretty tense. I exited the Hagerstown ramp and headed towards my destination. I have traveled this way many times, country road, farms, nice country homes. There is this one road I turn on to get to my customer, I like the turn, it's nice. There is a tall fence surrounding several larger, older homes that are very inviting. There are mature trees around the homes and pools, tire swings, tree houses, everything you would want in a nice country home. Back to the fence, it is about 6 feet tall with thin steel rods for the fencing. They come to a very sharp point at the top. I normally don't even notice them. This time I couldn't help but notice them. As I made my turn I had to slam on my brakes. Snow covered country road, right angle turn, not a smart thing to do. I slid, just a few feet though. I quickly got out my phone to take a picture. On the fence, impaled, was a deer. It had tried to jump the fence, almost made it over. I think it made it about to that soft belly portion on the underside, actually, it was pretty obvious how far it made it over. I took the picture out of grim fascination at first and to further document some of the odd things I see on the road. A few seconds later I realized how horrible an image it was. There was no way I was going to post the picture and I could not believe I had taken it. The fence was pretty mangled, the deer did not go gently in to the night. I am guessing that the struggles of the deer to free itself only hastened it's death. The snow had already covered any blood that might have been on the ground. There had to have been a lot. I just had to write about this, it is just one of the worse things I have seen on the road.

1 comment:

bret said...

I understand the feeling...The last time I was in China, I saw an individual who had just been run over on the highway. The image was seared into my brain for the rest of the trip, and it really bothered me. It just proved to me that despite everything we see on TV, movies, etc, it's not like seeing things in reality...